The institution has been a recognized postgraduate training centre by the National Board of Examinations. Since 1984, there have been 42 postgraduates who have undergone strenuous training of 5 years and obtained post graduate qualifications (National Board examinations) and gone on to serve different parts of the country.The institution is currently allowed one candidate per year and the course is now for 6 years. The candidates are selected by the National Board on the basis of an all-India examination and counseling done centrally.
In addition, the department provides an educational opportunity to General surgery postgraduates Neuro-anaesthesia training MS neuroscience students and B.Sc. and M.Sc. Nursing students
The best way to teach and learn surgery was to watch live surgery being performed and to have an active interaction between the surgeon and the watching delegates. This way, there would be a good discussion, as well as the chance for surgeons to see, discuss and learn from other surgeons.
The workshops extend over three days, over the second weekend of September. Two guest surgeons and our surgeons for the faculty. Each workshop starts with lectures on the relevant anatomy and with clinical discussions. This is followed by presentation of the cases to be operated that morning. The live video transmission from the operation theatre allows for the discussion to start from the OT setting, positioning, incision, to anesthetic requirement etc. A two way audio system enables the delegates to directly ask the surgeon questions regarding the surgery. There is therefore an excellent discussion which carries on throughout.
The workshops also include ALNC oration, by eminent physicians.
|2||1995||PROF. SUNIL PANDYA
DR.BASANT K MISRA
|NEUROLOGICAL ILLNESSES AND BEHAVIOUR|
|THE NEW MILLENIUM: UNFINISHED AGENDA AND TASKS AHEAD|
|TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF A NEUROSURGEON|
|7||DR.SUNIL K PANDYA
|PATCH ADAMS: SERVICE TO HUMANITY|
|RECENT CONCEPTS IN ANEURYSM TREATMENT|
|CURRENT CONCEPTS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF BRACHIAL PLEXUS INJURY|
|ANEURYSMS – CLIPPING Vs COILING|
|NEUROENDOSCOPY IN THE ERA OF MICROSURGERY|
|13||PROF.ZAHEER AHMED SYED
|TOUGH CALLS – TOUGH OPTIONS|
|EVOLUTION OF NEUROSCIENCES …A REMOTE EVOLUTION|
|CANCER CARE – WHERE ARE WE?|
|BIOLOGY OF EPILEPSY – PATHOLOGIST PERSPECTIVE|
|17||DR.A.P.J. ABDUL KALAM
|WHAT YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR|
|EPILEPSY – AN OVERVIEW|
Textbooks of Neurosurgery
- Textbook of Neurosurgery, 1st Edition, 1980—National Book Trust of India—Orient Longman Ltd.—2vols.
- Textbook of Neurosurgery,2nd Edition—1996—National Book Trust of India—BI Churchill Livingstone Ltd.—2vols.
- Textbook of Neurosurgery, 3rd Edition—2011—Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers—3vols.
- Manual of Text Book of Neurosurgery—2014—Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers—2vols.
Textbook of Operative Neurosurgery
- Textbook of Operative Neurosurgery, 1st Edition—2005—B I Churchill Livingstone Publications Ltd.—2 vols.
- Textbook of Operative Neurosurgery, 2nd Edition—currently in progress
Publication of following papers:
- “Prof.B.Ramamurthi: The Legend and his Legacy” K Sridhar, Neurology India, 52: 27-31, 2004
- “Total Traumatic Dislocation of the Upper Thoracic Spine – Lessons Learnt” Surgical Neurology 61: 343-346, 2004
- “Cystic Tuberculomas of the brain – report of two cases” Neurologica Medico Chirurgica, (Japan) 44:438-441, 2004
- Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pachymeningitis of the thoracic Spine” British Journal of Neurosurgery 18:515-517, 2004
- Balasubramaniam Ramamurthi” in Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Indian National Science Academy, (ed) Prof B Ramamurthi, Indian National Science Academy, Vol.27, 207-248, 2005.
- Vikram Muthusubramanian, Pande A, Vasudevan M.C, Ravi R. Suprasellar Arachnoid Cyst With Bobble-Head Doll Movements: A Management Option. J Pediatr Neurosci 2006;1:24-26
- Vikram Muthusubramanian, Anil Pande, Madhabushi Chakravarthy Vasudevan, Ravi Ramamurthi, Concomitant Cervical and Lumbar Intradural Intramedullary Lipoma – A Case Report submitted to Surgical Neurology Journal.
- Vikram Muthusubramanian, Anil Pande, Madhabushi Chakravarthy Vasudevan, Ravi Ramamurthi, An Unusual Stab Wound Of The Cervical Spine Due To Casurina Stick: A Case Report submitted to British journal of neurosurgery.
- Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, Anil Pande, Madhabushi Chakravarthy Vasudevan, Ravi Ramamurthi, Glioblastoma in a child irradiated for ALL: Journal of Indian Society of Paediatric Neurosurgery.
- Suprasellar epidermoid presenting with precocious puberty – Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, A.N.Prasad, Ravi Ramamrthi, M.C.Vasudevan, Pediatr Neurosci, Vol.2, 75 : July- Dec 2007
- Surgical Management of brainstem hydatid cyst – an unusal site –Dr.Vikram M, Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi, Surgical Neurology,accepted in June 2007
- An unusual stab wound of the cervical spine caused by a casurina stick – Dr.Vikram M, Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi, British Journal of Neurosurgery, February 2007, 21(1):1-2
- Concomitant cervical and lumbar intradural intramedullary lipoma – Dr.Vikram M, Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi, Surgical Neurology, March 2008
- Exophytic choroids plexus papilloma of the fourth ventricle presenting with cerebrospinal flid rhinorrhea: a Case report – Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, Dr.A.N.Prasad, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi, Surgical Neurology, Feb 2008
- Pediatric Medulloblastoma: A Review of 67 cases at a single institute Dr.Murali Mohan S, Dr.Anil Pane, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi, Asian Journal of Neurosurgery 2008: 2: 63-69
- Extradural with intradural extramedullary and intramedullary tuberculoma of the spine without bony involvement. A rare case report. Accepted by Pan Arab Journal of Neurosurgery – Dr.Nigel Peter Symss
- Theories of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics and hydrocephalus: Historical trend – Submitted to journal of Neurosurgery – Dr.Nigel Peter Symss
- Invasive rhino-cerebral fungal granuloma – Neurology India, Mar-Apr 2010, Vol 58, Issue 2- Dr.Murali Mohan, Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi
- Intracranial Rosai Dorfman Disease: report of three cases and literature review – Asian Journal of Neurosurgery 2010, 11:19-30 – Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, Dr.Goutham Cugati, Dr.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi
- Extra axial adult cerebellopontine angle medulloblastoma: An extremely rare site of tumor with metastasis – Surgical Neurology International – Dr.Manish Singh, Dr.Goutham Cugati, Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi
- Multiple burr hole surgery as a treatment modality for pediatric moyamoya disease – Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences, Vol.5, Jul-Dec: 115, 2010 – Dr.Ravindra Kapu, Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, Dr.Goutham Cugati, Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.Vasudevan, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi
- Malignant Course of a Metastatic Melanoma During Pregnancy: A case report World J Oncol:2011;2(2):79-82 – Dr.Goutham Cugati, Dr.Pradeep Kumar Jain,Dr.Anil Pande, Dr.Nigel Peter Symss, Dr.Ravi Ramamurthi, Dr.Vasudevan
- Extradural with intradural – extramedullary and intramedullary tuberculoma of the spine without bony involvement : Pan Arab Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol.14, No.2, October 2010
- Abscess within a meningioma: Pathogenesis and rare case report – Dr.Shyam Sundar Krishnan, Manas Panigrahi, et al: Letters to Editor, Neurology India, Mar-Apr 2014, Vol.62, Issue 2
- Spinal accessory nerve schwannomas masqueriding as a fourth ventricular lesion: Case Report – Dr.Shyam Sundar Krishnan, Dr.Sivaram Bojja, Dr.M.C.Vasudevan: On Print , Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice
Extracranial infrasellar craniopharyngioma: Letter to Editor, Neurology India, Jan-Feb 2014, Vol.62, Issue 1
- Senthilvel HN, Krishnan SS, Vasudevan MC, Extracranial infrasellar craniopharyngioma, Neurol India. 2014 Jan-Feb;62(1):100-3
- Krishnan SS, Bojja S, Vasudevan MC, Spinal accessory nerve schwannomas masquerading as a fourth ventricular lesion, J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2015 Jan;6(1):112-5
- Krishnan SS, Panigrahi M, Pattanagare SG, Varma RD, Rao SI, Abscess within a meningioma: pathogenesis and rare case report, Neurol India. 2014 Mar-Apr;62(2):196-8
- Spinal accessory nerve schwannomas masquerading as a fourth ventricular lesion
Krishnan SS, Bojja S, Vasudevan MC Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice 2015 Jan; 6(1):112-5
- An observational study on outcome of hemispherotomy in children with refractory epilepsy
Panigrahi M, Krishnan SS, Vooturi S, Vadapalli R, Somayajula S, Jayalakshmi S
Accepted for publication in International Journal of Surgery
- Postoperative Central Nervous System Infection After Neurosurgery in a Modernized, Resource-Limited Tertiary Neurosurgical Center in South Asia
Chidambaram S, Nair MN, Krishnan SS, Cai L, Gu W, Vasudevan MCWorld Neurosurgery 2015 Dec; 84(6):1668-73
- An observational study on outcome of hemispherotomy in children with refractory epilepsy – Panigrahi M, Krishnan SS, Vooturi S, Vadapalli R, Somayajula S, Jayalakshmi S, International Journal of Surgery 2016 Dec;36, 477-482
- Falx Stitch for retraction of the superior sagittal sinus – A technical note – Shyam Sundar Krishnan, Gowtham Devireddy, MC Vasudevan. Published in Neurology India 2016:64(5):1080
- Rare case of Intra-meatal Tuberculoma – Gowtham Devireddy, Shyam Sundar Krishnan, MC Vasudevan, Mohan Kameswaran. Accepted for publication in Neurology India, 2016
- Concurrent multilevel spinal intramedullary with extensive intracranial tuberculomas: A rare case report – Shyam Sundar Krishnan, Bhavinkumar R Patel, M C Vasudevan, AJNS, 2016: Online Publication.